User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Trucks World News: DEBATE * USA - There is no driver shortage!
Google
 
Loading

Jan 6, 2007

DEBATE * USA - There is no driver shortage!

MAYBE THE COMPANIES and SHIPPERS and RECEIVERS SHOULD LOOK AT THEMSELVES AS TO WHY PEOPLE ARE LEAVING or CHURNING...

USA - Truck.net, by James Maxwell, American Central Transport AKA Peacekeeper -Jan 2007: -- There is NO driver shortage!!! This fallacy is almost as laughable as the U.S. Marshall BS on the CB... What there is a shortage of are good companies willing to pay a decent salary to attract and keep GOOD and EXPERIENCED drivers... Cost on the road have gone up substantially and the raises, if any, have not kept up because they have been behind for years. Many companies that I have called since finding out my dedicated run is being dropped don't pay what I feel I'm worth and they want my 14 years experience for what they are paying guys with one year. KMA! I called one company here that runs auto parts for Ford and they start all drivers at the same rate. This is a joke and so was the starting rate...

I'm not going to work for you!

- If you are not going to pay me at least .40 cents a mile or more and pay detention,
- If you cannot provide me with decent miles and minimal layovers per year,
- If you don't want to get me home,
- If you don't want to provide me with decent benefits,
- If you don't provide me with quality equipment,
- If you or your dispatch personnel don't treat me with equal respect...

Now I have friends with many more years or experience then me who have given up on this career field because of many of the listed reasons above and others. The companies and the shippers and receivers just don't get it and they just want to bring in cheap labor so this fallacy about a driver shortage continues with the hopes that someday Congress will grant those work visas... The driver turn over/churn rate is higher this year then last in the TL segement, while LTL is down. Why ? Better pay, benefits, home time and working conditions... Also if there was a driver shortage the truck stops wouldn't be full of drivers looking for loads!...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home