AUTONOMOUS TRUCKS * USA: 10 benefits
* Virginia - Top 10 benefits of autonomous trucks
the American Transportation Research Institute (ATRI) released a 40-page research paper analyzing just what impact this new technology will have on the industry... Meantime, here are the top 10 benefits autonomous trucking will bring to the industry, as presented by ATRI...
* Hours-of-Service: Allows for driver rest and productivity to occur simultaneously.
* Compliance, Safety, Accountability: Will decrease raw SMS scores, though percentile scoring needs to change.
* Driver Shortage: Driving will be more attractive with higher productivity, less time away from home, and additional logistics tasks; fewer driver may be needed.
* Driver Retention: Companies with autonomous technology may attract and retain drivers.
* Truck Parking: If “productive rest” is taken in the cab during operations, less time will be required away from home at truck parking facilities and fewer facilities will be needed.
* Electronic Logging Device Mandate: Modifications will be necessary depending on level of autonomy.
* Driver Health and Wellness: Driver could be less sedentary; injuries could be reduced.
* The Economy: Carriers that use AT may see productivity and cost benefits.
* Infrastructure / Congestion / Funding: Urban congestion could be mitigated through widespread use of autonomous vehicles (including cars).
* Driver Distraction: Drivers will not be distracted from driving if vehicle in autonomous mode...
Arlington, VA, USA - Today's Trucking - Nov 21, 2016