User-agent: Mediapartners-Google* Disallow: Trucks World News: TRUCKER STORIES * UK: 'I’m a trucker not an immigration officer'
Google
 
Loading

Jun 13, 2015

TRUCKER STORIES * UK: 'I’m a trucker not an immigration officer'

* France - Calais, home to makeshift camps of thousands of migrants hoping to cross the border into the UK

   (Reporter, Victoria Derbyshire programme on BBC Two and BBC News Channel- Jun 10, 2015Lorry drivers passing through Calais, northern France, say they are now taking on the role of amateur immigration officer, as they struggle to keep would-be asylum seekers from gaining entry to the UK in their vehicles) 

-- Lorry drivers have long been attracted to the job by the freedom of the road. But some say that in Calais, northern France, they are now taking on the role of amateur immigration officer. I spent three days with those travelling through the port town... "I opened the door with another driver and I had six adults and a baby in the trailer," Euan Fleming tells me... At a diesel stop in Calais - home to makeshift camps of thousands of migrants hoping to cross the border into the UK - he checks the padlock on the back of his huge lorry. It's intact this time, but he tells me about a recent occasion when it wasn't... "I'm a dad, I've got two kids - a five-year-old and a three-year-old - and this mum [in the trailer] had nothing with her. No bags, no packages, no nothing" ... He and his colleague told them all to get out. Euan didn't ask where they came from, but says he's often wondered if they ever made it to the UK... But Euan tells me he doesn't feel like those in charge of UK immigration really have a clue what is happening on the ground... "I would challenge the immigration minister to come and sit in my truck where you have sat and witness what we have witnessed. I would love to hear his solution"...
London, EN, UK - BBC News, by Catrin Nye - 10 June 2015

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home