TRUCKS AS DEADLY WEAPON ? * Europe: Terrorist trucker ... again !!!
* France: The everyday commercial truck used as a weapon for crazed terrorist drivers
(Video by SECURITY - Jul 14, 2016: #PrayForNice - If you are in France, remember to follow the authorities instructions, and notify relatives and tell them that you're okay)
--- The horrific terror attack committed in Nice, France, highlights a disturbing use for the everyday commercial truck, one most of us in this industry don’t like thinking about: as a weapon for mayhem and murder... Some 84 people are now known to be killed, along with scores of others maimed and wounded, after a terrorist behind the wheel of a straight truck plowed into a crowd of Bastille Day revelers at high speed, then exited the cab and began shooting... But using a truck as a weapon … it’s been done before with extremely deadly effect all over the world: The 1983 Marine barracks bombing in Beirut, Lebanon, (for which the Iranians must now pay damages); the first World Trade Center attack in 1993; and the infamous Oklahoma City bombing carried out by Timothy McVeigh in 1995... The challenge facing transportation experts now is to figure out what kinds of trucks pose the biggest “weaponized” threat and how to counteract it...
* France - Bastille Day truck attack kills 84 in Nice - After Nice, ban trucks?
... The jihadist truck attack in Nice, France, killed and wounded scores of citizens gathered to watch Bastille Day fireworks. The day chosen was intended to be symbolic—“Your sovereignty means nothing to us. We can strike wherever and whenever we will” ... But the main point remains. Trucks do not kill scores of Frenchmen. It is their drivers. Guns do not kill. It is those who shoot them for political and ideological purposes... If we cannot understand this truth, the very spirit of which is written in our Founding, we do not deserve to live in peace in the streets of our cities...
(Photo: David Ramos / Getty Images) -- Detroit, MICH, USA - The Detroit News, by James Schall - July 15, 2016
* New York / USA - Devastating use of truck adds to security challenges
--- Nice attack likely to heighten alert for potential copycats, lead to increased security at public events... In a 2010 article in the al Qaeda magazine “Inspire,” a leader of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula urged followers to pursue “individual jihad” by using pickup trucks to run down civilians, mounting sharp blades on the front to maximize deaths and injuries. “The idea is to use a pickup truck as a mowing machine, not to mow grass, but mow down the enemies of Allah,” he wrote...
RECENT TRUCK ATTACKS
* Dec. 21, 2014 Dijon and Nantes, France: A driver shouting Islamic phrases ran down 13 pedestrians in a half-hour span, seriously injuring two. The next day, another man drove into a crowd of holiday shoppers, wounding 11 people.
* Oct. 28, 2013 Beijing: Five people were killed after a Jeep crashed in front of the Forbidden City. Chinese police described it as a terrorist attack.
* May 15, 2011 Tel Aviv: One man was killed and 16 others injured after a truck crashed into several vehicles and pedestrians on a crowded Tel Aviv roadway. The driver denied intentionally causing the collision.
* June 8, 2008 Tokyo: A man drove a truck into a popular shopping street, killing three men with the vehicle before stabbing 14 people. Four of the stabbing victims died.
* April 19, 1995 Oklahoma City: Timothy McVeigh parked a rental truck packed with explosives in front of a federal building in downtown Oklahoma City. The detonation killed 168, including 19 children, and injured more than 500 people...
(PHOTO: ASSOCIATED PRESS - The north side of the Alfred Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City after a truck bomb exploded on April 19, 1995. After that attack, security officials were conditioned to look for bombs, but the Nice incident is a reminder of the deadly use vehicles can have in the hands of a terrorist) -- NY, USA - The WSJ, by ANDREW TANGEL and DEVLIN BARRETT - July 15, 2016
Labels: trucks and terrorism